Monday, May 28, 2012

Bismillah

I finally installed in my village on May 16.  We spent all morning meeting officials in Kaolack, Nioro, and Medina Sabakh, and then finally pulled up in the Peace Corps van to my village around 3:30.  Children ran out to watch as the van drove into my compound.  I couldn't help but smile at everyone.  We arrived at my compound (good thing the driver knew which one it was because I couldn't remember) and there was a huge crowd there.  We were ushered from the car to the center of my compound.  Long benches were set up in a square around a table and some chairs (all under the large neem tree in the center of the compound).  There were more than 50 people there and more kept coming - mostly women and children.  I walked around and greeted all the adults on 3 sides, saying Asalaa Malekum and shaking hands.  Then I was told to take a seat.  My mother was very happy to see me and walked briskly over to greet me, Bismillah! (Welcome!)

I looked around at all the people facing me; I didn't know the faces yet, but I knew that I would get to know them all very well.  My female community counterpart had brought her folder from counterpart workshop with her and sat looking very official.  She looked much more comfortable here than she did in Thies (as I had expected that she would).  My  male counterpart then began to address the group.  He explained how I was here to help, how at first I would just be learning the language and culture, how everyone should welcome me, that they must help me or else I might work with the other villages instead, how they were excited to have me, and how I would assess their needs.  He did a great job of summarizing what he'd learned at the counterpart workshop.  Then my father welcomed me as part of the community.  He said that they'd wanted a volunteer for so long and were very happy to finally have one.  He hoped that I would be welcomed as family and even though I was living with him, he hoped everyone would include me as part of their families.  I was then asked to make a remark. This caught me completely off guard, as I hadn't been expecting to make a speech, but I thanked everyone for coming and said that I was very excited to be here.  They had to repeat what I said for everyone since my village couldn't understand my accent.  A few others spoke after me.  One man said how he'd seen other Peace Corps volunteers and the work they did and was excited to have me.  The head of the woman's group said that she would include me in everything and fight with the men over me.  She said they would help me learn everything about the culture, even washing my clothes for me.  (I wish!)  The whole ceremony was very touching and entertaining - official yet casual.  I enjoyed looking around at everyone and listening.  I saw everyone excited to see me, women wanting to speak, and children shy to know me, and I just imagined my 2 years here and how hard it will be to leave at the end.  I imagined all the relationships that I will form with these people, people who all want to know me, speak with me, and work with me.  People who are excited to help me learn Wolof and seem to understand Peace Corp's mission.  I am glad to be a part of this community.

After the speeches, everyone ushered me to the car to unload my things.  They all helped carry everything to my room.  Then the music started.  They banged bowls and containers and were dancing.  They pulled me in to dance.  I can't dance well, but I did anyway.  Some of the women danced to show off to me too. Gradually, people left the compound to go home and prepare dinner.  I was left with my wonderful family, and an eagerness to be engaged in the community.

1 comment: