Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Maangiy nekk ci Kaolack.

Today we learned where our site for the next 2 years is located...Maangiy nekk ci Kaolack. (I live in the Kaolack region.) I will be very close to the border with Gambia in a village of approximately 200 people. I will be traveling there tomorrow to stay with the closest volunteer to me (about 23 km away - a 2 hour bike ride), and I am so excited to see my village.

They told us our sites in a very unique, dramatic fashion. We were all blindfolded and placed on a map of Senegal at our location. Then, we all removed our blindfolds at the same time to see where we were and who is near us. I admit that I became very nervous as I stood there waiting to remove the blindfold, for my life situation for the remainder of the Peace Corps to be revealed. I am very excited about the other trainees who will be close to me, as well as the trainees in the Gambia who are right across the border.

Essentially, I am just excited now to begin my work; this is the most eager I have been since I arrived in Senegal, and I finally feel that I am really in the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment